On October 26, 1921, in the President’s House at 815 South University, Nina Burton, wife of President Marion Leroy Burton, fifty wives of professors, department heads, deans and administrative officers met to consider forming a Faculty Women’s Club. Then, as now, the purpose of the Club was to promote acquaintance and friendship among its members. Mrs. Burton was elected the first president and served for four years.
The FWC was designed so that women who shared similar interests could pursue them in small informal groups. On March 1, 1922, three sections of the newly established Faculty Women’s Club were formed: Drama, Day Nursery and Athletics. These were followed the next year by three more: Art, Music and Gardening. The initial number of sections has grown to more than 40. From the original group of 50 members, the Club has grown into an incorporated organization with almost 500 members.
In the early years, the University provided a red-brick house on South Ingalls where Burton Tower stands today. However, when the Michigan League was completed in the spring of 1929, the FWC moved its activities to the League. Today, most major events are still held in the League.