Settling into a new city is exciting and exasperating. We are sharing useful sites and information to help you get to know the city and university. An excellent place to begin an orientation to Ann Arbor are the Life in Ann Arbor web pages developed by the University of Michigan International Center. Topic areas include housing, health care, children, recreation, entertainment and more. For easily accessible campus maps or information about campus events, go to the University of Michigan Campus Information Center. The site even has an acronym decoder! For more links to useful websites, see bottom of this page.
- Ann Arbor Area Transit Authority (AAATA): Known as The Ride, University of Michigan students, faculty and staff show UM cards to ride for free. People over 65 ride for free.
- UM Bus System: University of Michigan campus buses are hop-on and hop-off and free to the public. There are 17 routes. Use both doors to enter. UM has tools on its website to show you bus progress.
- Airport: It’s possible to take a Michigan Flyer bus to the Detroit airport from Ann Arbor. There are a couple of Ann Arbor stops.
Where are these Ann Arbor Shopping Centers?
- Arbor Hills: East Ann Arbor area. Almost exactly cross the street from Whole Foods on Washtenaw Ave. Has Sur La Table, North Face, Zola Bistro.
- Arborland: East Ann Arbor area. At Washtenaw and US-23. Has Starbucks, Michael’s, Bed Bath & Beyond, Petco.
- Briarwood Mall: Has four major anchor stores: Penney’s, Sear’s, Macy’s, Von Maur. Has Apple Store.
- Colonnade: South Ann Arbor area. At Ann Arbor-Saline Rd., Eisenhower and I-94. Has Panera.
- Cranbrook Village: South Ann Arbor area. At Eisenhower and Ann Arbor Saline roads. Has Whole Foods and REI.
- Kerrytown: Central Ann Arbor area. Between N. Fourth Ave and N. Fifth Ave, north of Huron. Has Farmer’s Market, Zingerman’s, Kerrytown Concert House.
- Maple Village: West Ann Arbor area. At Jackson and Stadium on the northwestern corner (almost). Has Plum Market and a Michigan Secretary of State (in the back).
- Nickels Arcade: Lovely passageway between State St. and Maynard St. just off central campus with shops, Comet Coffee.
- Traver Village: North Ann Arbor area. Off Plymouth Rd. Has a Kroger’s.
- Westgate: West Ann Arbor area. At Jackson Rd. and Stadium Blvd. on the southwest corner. Has TJ Maxx, Nicola’s Books, library branch (closed in 2016 due to expansion).
- Lamp Post Plaza: East Ann Arbor area. Where Washtenaw intersects Stadium Blvd. Major retailer is Trader Joe’s.
University of Michigan
UM Home Page
UM Job Postings
Campus Information Center
Matthaei Botanical and Nichols Arboretum
Michigan Daily Online Student Newspaper
University Record Online
Ann Arbor Community Education & Recreation
Ann Arbor District Library
Ann Arbor Area Convention and Visitors Bureau
Ann Arbor Public Schools
Ann Arbor Restaurants
City of Ann Arbor
MLive (Online News)
Making of Ann Arbor (History)
Arts & Entertainment
A2 Arts Addict
Ann Arbor Civic Theater
Ark (Live Music)
Arts at UM
The Downbeat: A Tree Town lowdown on the arts scene
Goodrich Quality 16 Movie Theaters
Michigan and State Theaters
Pulp – Arts Around Ann Arbor
Purple Rose Theatre Company
Showcase Movie Theaters
UM School of Theater and Dance
University Musical Society