The Faculty Women’s Club was formed in 1921 when Nina Burton, wife of University of Michigan President Marion Leroy Burton, brought together 50 wives of professors, department heads, deans and administrative officers to consider forming a club to promote acquaintance and friendship among members. The Club was established so that women who shared similar interests could pursue them in small informal groups and Mrs. Burton was elected the first Club president.
In 1922, three sections were formed: Drama, Day Nursery and Athletics. These were followed the next year by three more: Art, Music and Gardening. The initial number of sections has grown to more than 40. From the original group of 50 members, the Club has grown into an incorporated organization and now has almost 500 members.
Browse the Faculty Women’s Club Historical Archives web page to view items from previous FWC celebrations, interest section histories, social events and more.