FWC sponsors gatherings throughout the year that all members are welcome to attend. Future events are listed under “Upcoming Events” on our homepage. Recent events included:
- Winter Social Event: Trivia Night on Feb 20, 2022 via Zoom. This was an evening of fun and trivia with fellow FWC members, family and friends. 14 teams played. Four rounds and a single-question playoff determined the winner, Team Blaze. Co-sponsored with the FWC Centennial Committee, two of the rounds featured U-M trivia. U-M trivia questions are here for you to try (PDF). Answers are here (PDF).
- FWC Living Room Chat: “Journalism in an Era of Authoritarianism,” with Lynette Clemetson on January 24, 2022 via Zoom. Based on her personal experiences as an international reporter in Asia, her domestic reporting, and work with journalists at home and internationally, the Charles R. Eisendrath Director of Wallace House shared in-depth accounts of the rise of autocracy and threats to journalists around the world. She also focused on the demise of local reporting in this country, including Ann Arbor, and what this means for our democracy.
- Holiday Event on December 9, 2021. This event was our second Zoom winter holiday event due to the continuing COVID pandemic. Talented FWC members and friends of members performed. We also heard how FWC has celebrated the holidays together for the past 100 years, a nod to our centennial celebration this year. Remarks can be found here (PDF).
- Fall Pop-Up Event “Through Her Eyes: Women Artists’ in the DIA’s Collection” on October 28, 2021. This Zoom event featured a docent-led “Behind the Scene Discussion” from the Detroit Institute of Arts, entitled “Through Her Eyes,” nicely matching one Centennial theme of highlighting women’s history.
Regular FWC events to look for:
- Fall Welcome (September). Prospective members invited.
- Holiday Reception (December)
- Winter event (January-March)
- Spring Luncheon & Business Meeting (April)
- Spring Bus Tour (April-May)
- Living Room Chats: talks by U-M speakers on cutting edge and hot topics.